Illustrator, Ken J. P.
Learn how to illustrate characters
with dynamic personalities and relationships.
This class will teach you everything
from creating unique characters
to illustrating their interactions in a way
that captures your audience's attention.
You'll learn how to draw
and space out multiple characters,
implement 3D software for natural movement,
use essential drawing techniques that create
the overall mood of your composition, and more.
Clip Studio Paint (Pro or Ex)
Ken J. P. 's Profile & Portfolio
Ken J. P.
Hi, my name is Ken, aka Rev.
Ever since I was young,
there was always something
that interested me about drawing.
Even though I tried to think
about other paths I could take,
my love for drawing made it hard to do so.
Eventually, I ended up attending art school
to further my studies in the field.
I love illustrating characters,
especially their personalities and relationships.
It amazes me how drawing characters
in different postures
can best express their relationships.
I prepared this class to help expand
your boundaries and add more stories
to your characters.
Spacing Out Characters
What's the difference between drawing one character versus two characters? How about three or four? What is the appropriate amount of space to leave between them? This class will help you to understand how to space and position multiple characters.
Integrating 3D Software
Did you know that you can use 3D software as a secret weapon in illustration? If you are unsure how to make stiff characters move naturally, this new weapon will help you big time. Don't know how to use 3D software? No worries. From settings to integrating the tool, I will guide you step by step.
Essential Drawing Techniques
When it comes to drawing, there are multiple things you should consider: neat and clean lines, appropriate colors, realistic lighting, and creative compositions. Of course, there's no "correct" way of drawing things. However, I am happy to share my experience.
Buy now, get unlimited access.
(자동 구성) 가격이 인상됩니다.
This special offer ends soon.
Buy now and save!
SECTION 01. OT
- Introducing your instructor
- What you will learn
- Helpful websites and software
SECTION 02. Finding Your Style
2. Understanding Your Passion
- Discussion: Our favorite things to draw
- Why emotions are so valuable in art
3. Breaking Out of Your Comfort Zone
- Discussion: Our comfort zones
- How to break out of your comfort zone
4. Why Drawing Multiple Characters is Challenging
- Discussion: Why is drawing multiple characters so challenging?
- Analyzing my previous work
SECTION 03. Proximity and Perspective
5. Logical Space between Characters
- Discussion: Perspective & Space
- Understanding the appropriate space between characters
6. Clothing Folds with Multiple Characters
- Understanding how clothing folds between multiple characters
- Discussion: How to emphasize implied motions and interactions
7. Line Weights and Their Effect
- Understanding line weights and how they affect the overall picture
- Refining your work by cleaning up lines
SECTION 04. Emotion and Composition
8. 3D Programs and Their Use
- How 3D software augments your illustration
- Integrating 3D software into your composition
9. Posing Figures and Avoiding Stiffness
- Moving 3D characters to "get things right"
- How to draw dynamic postures without stiffness
10. Using Lighting and Strategic Angles for Extra Emotion
- A quick rundown of thumbnails, composition ideas, and lighting
- Using colors to specifically frame a drawing in the most desirable way possible
**The release date of this class, curriculum images, and associated content can be changed without prior notice.
6 Class Exercises
Perspective & Space
Drawing Clothing Folds
Integrating 3D Software
Compositions, Lighting, and Coloring
Is there a specific reason why you chose this specific topic/themes?
I enjoy drawing characters in a wide range of emotional and dramatic situations. Romantic situations are a great example for expressing intimacy and emotional connection between characters, while suspenseful situations provide tension and drama. Engaging situations can be anything that captures the viewer's attention, those which include action, humor, or suspense! It's very fulfilling for me to create compelling artwork that draws the audience's attention by capturing the dramatic elements of character interactions.
What makes your class different
from other classes?
I would say my unique perspective as well as my persistence in drawing character interactions is what sets my class apart from others. This isn't to discourage you from taking other classes though, as I think it's great to learn many different approaches to the same subject. One thing I can assure you is that my method is unique. I'll also share my knowledge and help you practice your skills. I feel like no one has a completely original method, but there is a sense of cultivation that occurs while theoretically creating my own approach to things!
What would be the most important takeaway from your class?
The importance of body language and facial expressions comes to my mind. A lot of artists including myself find joy in drawing these elements, as they interact with each other to create emotion in our characters. I can help create a sense of depth and believability in your compositions. By being attentive to the way your characters are standing, the gestures they're making, and the expressions on their faces, you can evoke a wide range of emotions in your audience. Whether it's controlling the space between characters or how they interact with the environment, these factors play a significant role in creating the overall mood and emotion of your drawing.
This course will use Clip Studio Paint Pro and Blender.
Please purchase and install these program(s) for an optimized lecture experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the lecture.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
*Please note that the information on this page is subject to change without prior notice.
*Would you like to learn more about our refund policy? Please check here.
*Please check our FAQ for Copyright and Proprietary Rights, User-Generated Content, Security, and Violation information.