Discover what it takes to create a captivating webtoon
with vivid storytelling and dynamic action scenes
full of drama & emotion.
This class covers every step of transforming
a written script into an entire webtoon.
You'll learn to create a detailed storyboard,
how to enhance the impact of each webtoon panel,
use color to express drama & emotion, and
create an engaging scene through rendering, VFX, and SFX.
Illustrator Sakon will answer questions
about the webtoon industry and share
exclusive insider insights, so don't miss out!
Length: 10 videos
1. Final Illustration (psd)
2. Sample Scripts for Comic
3. Sample Storyboards
4. Sample Webtoon Panel
Expert Webtoon Artist
Sakon's Profile & Portfolio
※ This portfolio includes fan art and commissioned works.
Why Take This Class?
This class is perfect for students
who aspire to work in the webtoon industry.
Webtoon Artist Sakon, an industry expert with
5+ years of experience, will share all their insider
knowledge & skills to help you achieve your goals.
You'll learn about webtoon publishers,
evaluate working independently vs. in a studio,
and learn about teamwork, roles, and jobs.
Take this class packed with professional insight
to set your foot in the webtoon industry with Coloso today!
9 Class Exercises
Layout & Fundamentals
Storyboarding with Tools
3D Assets & Utility
Hello! I'm Sakon.
Most people know me
by my fanart project on Twitter,
but I have been in the webtoon industry
for 5 years as a main artist
and assistant before changing my title
back to illustrator.
I have worked on different genres and themes
including action, fantasy, drama, and romance,
so I have a broad scope of knowledge
and skills to share.
For this class, I tried my best to keep it
as simple and practical as possible
so that you can follow the process
regardless of your background and skill.
I hope you enjoy my lecture with Coloso.
Illustrator and Webtoon Artist
Projects & Awards
Lezhin Comics World Comic Contest (2017) - Winner (3rd place)
- HoyoLAB Magazine (24th March 2022)
- Kurasi Warna - 011 by Rimawarna (10th Sept 2017)
- Foreign cartoonists flock to Korea’s webtoon industry (4th July 2018)
- [Lezhin Comics Show Me the Webtoon] Fight Against the Monster who Ran Out of the Game 'Freak-Quency’ (6th July 2018)
- [Show Me the Webtoon2] Survival Game Between the Monster and the User ˙Freak-Quency˙(17th May 2020)
Kisai Entertainment Private Coaching @ Jakarta, 14.5.2022
Turning a written script into a webtoon is more than just a transition. It's an entire transformation. Learn everything you need to know to transform a script into a webtoon and the elements and tools you need to master to convey the story within webtoon panels.
Unlike manga, color plays a huge part in webtoons. This class will help you understand the role of colors in making your webtoon more dramatic, emotional, and compelling.
For better storytelling, you need to make each panel count. Learn various methods and techniques to enhance the impact of each scene and action sequence.
StoryboardingAfter going over the tools and layout of the webtoon, we will walk through the storyboarding process. From analyzing the script to planning and stylizing the storyboard, you will learn about the different elements you need to consider.
Using 3D AssetsBeing a webtoon artist means constantly fighting deadlines. With that said, 3D Assets are a groundbreaking tool in the webtoon industry. Learn how to use these 3D Assets as a guide tool for illustratoin and save your time and resources.
Webtoon IndustryHow much do you know about the webtoon industry, and what would you like to know? In this class, I covered as much information as possible, from webtoon publishers and studios to payment options. I'll answer questions you couldn't ask other webtoon artists in the industry.
Buy now, get unlimited access.
(자동 구성) 가격이 인상됩니다.
This special offer ends soon.
Buy now and save!
SECTION 01. OT
- Introducing your instructor
- What you will learn based on my workflow
- Helpful websites and resources
SECTION 02. Preparation
02. Understanding Reader Behavior and the Webtoon Format
- Reader behavior
- Manga vs. Western comic
- Determining the canvas ratio and font size
- Language & balloon dialogues (vertical & horizontal)
- Layers, files & folder management
- Checking the template draft on a web view
SECTION 03. Storyboarding
03. Script to Storyboard Transition 1
- Script types (details & complexity in narration)
- Storyboard templates and styles
- Distribute & Input: Texts and dialogues
- Z scheme: "The flow"
- Readability: Ballon dialogues, characters, and composition
- Exploring camera angles & shots
- Panel size
04. Script to Storyboard Transition 2
- Making a good transition (time/place)
- Action choreography (moving, sequence)
- Utilizing scrolling effect
- Using dramatic expression moment
- Using freeze panels
- Making a dynamic composition
- Placing a background on the storyboard
SECTION 04. Resources and Tools
05. Exploring Resources
- Finding & utilizing 3D assets
- Setting models (style, shadow, angles)
- Moving, grouping & cropping views
- Exporting & setting resolutions
- Placing panels
06. Sketch, Lineart, and Render
- Using 3D head/body for the base
- Making personalized assets
- Line weight
- Stylizing panels for comedy purposes
SECTION 05. Finishing the Illustration
- Exploring render types
- Understanding the color value
- Color: Warm vs. cold
- Making normal vs. dramatic shadows
- Character with background: Blending vs. separating
- Layer modes
- Layer masks
- Smart objects
- Setting layers & using outer glow
- Motion and blur effect
- Action mode
- Making effect (shape, color, influence)
- English onomatopoeia for webtoon
- Writing SFX (type) vs. hand-writing
- Kakeami and shoujo brush effect
- Slicing webtoon
- Choosing the chapter thumbnail
- Making a cool cover art
SECTION 06. Being a Webtoon Artist
- Introduction to Webtoon Industry
- How to publish your comics
- Minimum guarantee and sharing profit.
- Recruitting assistant.
- Making timeline and work schedule.
- How to be make it sustainable.
*The release date of this class, curriculum images, and associated content can be changed without prior notice.
Expert Webtoon Artist
Is there a specific reason why you chose this specific topic/themes?
Anyone can start making a webtoon, but not everyone is lucky to have a background or someone to guide them through the process step-by-step. This lack of guidance leads many people to a dark place, where work becomes a slow and confusing process. I want to teach you everything that is involved when making a webtoon.
Could you please share how you started your journey in the industry?
In college, my childhood friend who was a passionate writer started making indie visual novels, and I ended up helping her make some background art for her game. In my final year of college, when Lezhin was holding its 3rd "World Comic Contest," it was natural for me to adapt her game story into a webtoon for the contest. As I didn't have any experience making a webtoon then, I didn't know much about it. So debuting as one of the winners (we got 3rd place) and making the chapters was exciting but also a whole learning experience. I needed to figure out many technical aspects by observing and analyzing webtoons I like. Back then, there were only a few learning materials/resources. Due to my health issues, I had to put it on hold in my career as a webtoon artist, but I'm grateful that I have a chance to share my expertise as an instructor and contribute to the webtoon industry once again.
Please share your thoughts on the industry's job market and what you see in the industry's future.
Recently, I see a high demand for artists because the webtoon industry often works at a "team" or "studio" level. It requires a lot of people and people with specific specialties. Even if you can't be a "main artist," there are many opportunities in the industry like; editor, manager, art director, 3D, letterer, etc. There are a lot of ways to contribute to the industry. Nowadays you don't even have to go to the office to work. It isn't rare that the team members come from various countries, which is an amazing collaboration.
This course will use Adobe Photoshop & Sketchup.
Please purchase and install these program(s) for an optimized lecture experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the lecture.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
*Please note that the information on this page is subject to change without prior notice.
*Would you like to learn more about our refund policy? Please check here.
*Please check our FAQ for Copyright and Proprietary Rights, User-Generated Content, Security, and Violation information.