Guidance will be provided on skillfully drawing character-optimized facial expressions, full-body poses, and even incorporating relevant props.
Get These Coloso Exclusives
28 Chapters Of Structured Know-How And Step-by-Step Learning
Lifetime Access To Essential Coloring Techniques of An On-Demand Illustrator
2 Original PSD Exercise Files
Why Take This Class?
Masterful Coloring Techniques:
Transforming Your Character from Simple to Eye-Catching
You’ve drawn your lines well, but do you find your drawing suddenly loses its luster when you add colors? Struggling to see improvement in your drawing skills?
Illustrator Seoji shares coloring tips for creating vibrant stylized character illustrations that consider the viewer's gaze, convey a sense of weight, and incorporate appropriate effects to make a stylized character illustration lively and captivating.
In this class, you will have the opportunity to learn in detail about selecting the overall color palette and accent colors that will determine a character's personality. Explore brush techniques and post-processing using Photoshop to enhance your illustrations.
With specific demonstrations of various mood expressions and exclusive coloring tips from an expert, Coloso brings you a unique blend of techniques you won't find anywhere else.
9 Class Exercises
Stylization of Light and Shape
Poses that Accentuate Motion
Line Drawing with Improved Form
Unique Light and Shadow
Expressing Mood and Weight
Drawing an Attractive Face
Making Corrections in Photoshop
How to Increase Density
Coloring Black and Silver Hair
Hello, my name is Seoji, and I’m an illustrator.
I have been working in character design and illustration for several years, mainly on lively and colorful stylized character projects.
As an instructor, I also teach my unique style and techniques to my students at the academy.
In this class, I will provide solutions to common challenges, and address areas of interest that students frequently encounter when drawing stylized characters. My aim is to guide you towards a fulfilling and enjoyable drawing experience.
Art in G Illustration Instructor
Projects & Awards
[Design and Illustration]
Netmarble Monster - Monster Taming,
NINEARK - Undisclosed project
Netmarble Monster - Project P
Big Ball - Soccer Spirits
YooZoo - 少年三国志
tencent games - 白夜極光
Genius - Undisclosed project
Meerkat Games - Royal Crown
Rhaon Entertainment - TalesRunner
Ntreev Soft - PangyaM
Enhancing Character Appeal with Dynamic Poses
Learn how to draw more dynamic and natural sketches with an emphasis on “motion,” the key element in expressing the situation and characteristics of a character, in order to maximize the sense of a character's personality.
From Selecting an Eye-catching Color Palette to Actual Coloring
You will have the opportunity to explore color combinations that complement the character's mood, making the first impression of your drawing even more appealing. Practice the entire coloring process based on the character's concept, as you learn the actual working methods used by a professional artist.
Finishing Touches that Improve the Quality, the Level of Completion and Details
You will not only learn how to quickly and accurately increase the density of stylized character illustrations, where subtle details can make a big difference, but also assess your own skills and focus on improving in areas where you may be lacking to achieve your goals in the drawing process.
Practicing Stylization through Imitating PhotographyLearn to simplify complex forms by using photo references, and transform light and shadow into a more animated style, making your approach to drawings more accessible.
Sketches Based on the Body and the GazeDelve into storytelling techniques while considering the mood and design of your illustrations. Master the art of capturing dynamic stylized character poses using lively camera angles and motions.
Customized Line Drawings for Stylized CharactersFollow a step-by-step line drawing guideline based on density. Learn what to focus on, how to avoid shaky lines, and techniques for improving your illustrations through omission and addition.
Skills for Detailed Coloring for a More Lively DrawingFind the overall color palette and accent colors that best match your character, and apply colors that emphasize refined brush strokes and just the right amount of depth.
Drawing Attractive Facial Features and PropsThe face is what initially captures the viewer’s attention. Learn how to convey your character's personality through facial features, including textures, decorative elements, and other intricate details.
Making Corrections in PhotoshopMaster the art of finely adjusting elements such as brightness and saturation in Photoshop, and apply various effects to elevate the quality and richness of your character drawings.
(자동 구성) 가격이 인상됩니다.
SECTION 01. Understanding your Drawings
01. Identifying the Problems within a Drawing
- Comparing your work with the work of your favorite artist to set the direction
- Understanding the difference in the level of completion and quality
- When a drawing looks stiff/dull
02. Defining Stylization
- What is stylization?
- Object stylization through omission, exaggeration, distortion
- Drawing hair strands using stylization
03. Applying Stylization
- How to apply stylization to hats, tops, pants, and shoes
- How to truly embed your own style into your drawings
04. Imitating Photographs to Get the Feel of It 01: Drawing
- How to apply stylization to your sketches
- Animation-like omissions and exaggerations
05. Imitating Photographs to Get the Feel of It 02: Coloring
- Casual coloring using exaggeration and omission
- Finishing techniques to increase the level of completion
SECTION 02. Drawing Lively Characters 01: Sketch
06. How to Sketch Like a Pro
- Common mistakes when drawing human poses
- How to draw different poses
- Different sketches for different characters
07. Dramatic Poses and Natural Motions
- Expressing movement using the character’s design
- Objectively assessing your own drawings to make meaningful improvements
- Changing the direction of the view to make the angle more engaging
08. Character Sketches that are Full of Life
- The process and method of sketching while paying particular attention to motions
- How to edit motions after the sketch is done
SECTION 03. Drawing Lively Characters 02: Line Drawing
09. Line Drawing that Makes or Breaks the Illusion of Motion
- How to use lines elegantly
- Consistent lines with defined contrast
- Drawing lines in a semi-realistic way
10. Beautiful and Elegant Line Drawings
- Drawing three-dimensional lines
- How to make your drawing crisp from the line drawing stage
- Filling in the finishing details
SECTION 04. Drawing Lively Characters 03: Coloring
11. Color Palette that Suits the Characters
- Three ways of categorizing a color palette
- How to identify pretty color palettes
- How to use bright and clear color palettes
12. Understanding Light and Shadow, the Easy and Light Way
- Understanding how shadows appear based on the direction of light
- Boxing the character to identify identical sides
- Practicing shadow shapes based on the direction of light
13. Coloring that Improves the Quality of the Drawing 01
- Why it’s important to color bigger objects first
- Sticking with your selected color palette throughout the coloring process
14. Coloring that Improves the Quality of the Drawing 02
- How to add a color palette to diversify the mood
- Adding bold accent colors
15. Coloring that Improves the Level of Completion
- How to express a variety of color palettes
- Improving the level of completion by paying attention to details
- How to deal with areas that are no longer necessary
16. Portraying Details that Add Liveliness
- Elements that add liveliness to the character
- Using props to add a sense of space
- Guiding the direction of the gaze and enhancing the illusion of motion
17. Photoshop Corrections that Change the Mood of the Character
- Photoshop correction techniques
- Changing the color palette using Layer Blending
- Adding effects to the drawing using the Filter Gallery
Section 05. Drawing Serious Characters 01: Sketch
18. Setting the Situation and the Atmosphere
- Setting the situation using the character design
- Picking the right situation to convey your intent as an artist
19. Upgrading the Sketch: Composition and Props
- Using the grid to set the location of the props
- Choosing the right props
- Carefully filling in the density of the drawing
Section 06. Drawing Serious Characters 02: Line Drawing
20. Attention-Catching Character Drawing with Limited Motion
- How to use horizontal and vertical lines, and what to look out for
- Exaggerating and omitting according to the situation
- Drawing simple yet non-monotonous lines
21. Shaping an Attractive Face
- Drawing the eyes, the key facial feature
- Drawing the different facial features
Section 07. Drawing Serious Characters 03: Coloring
22. Using the Light to Accentuate
- Identifying the part you want to accentuate, after setting the situation
- How to use light to guide the direction of the gaze
- Using the contrast between light and shadow
23. Coloring Dim Drawings for Better Clarity and Transparency 01
- Learn the importance of saturation
- How to make your drawing brighter
- How to color to fix murkiness in a drawing
24. Coloring Dim Drawings for Better Clarity and Transparency 02
- Learn the importance of contrast
- Adding depth to the intensity of light
- Completing the drawing while maintaining saturation
25. Upgrading Low-saturation Drawings
- Adding brightness to increase contrast
- How to increase low saturation
- How to quickly add weight and increase the level of completion
26. Finishing Touches that Increase the Density of a Drawing
- Types of effects that counteract stillness
- A step-by-step guide to applying effects
- Defining the scope of correction
Section 08. Bonus: Coloring Techniques that Enhance Visual Appeal
27. Coloring Black and Silver Hair
- Understanding the importance of highlighting
- The quick and easy way to color black and silver hair
28. Accessory Stylization
- How to draw accessories
- Drawing with stylization techniques
- Coloring metal accessories
*The release date of this class, curriculum images, and associated content can be changed without prior notice.
** Class videos may be seperated for a more streamlined viewing experience
How is this Class Different from the First Class?
The first class focused intensively on introducing a concept of character drawing that is based on the stylization theory. In this class, however, we will skip the fundamental theory and instead go through a step-by-step guide on how to infuse more dynamics into your drawings while intensifying the use of color. This class is perfect for you if you’ve been feeling like you’re stuck in the basics and not seeing progress, or if you've been looking for more in-depth and exercise-based practice with completing actual drawings.
What Do You Think Your Strengths are as an Illustrator?
I’m very good at expressing different body poses and motions, which I consider to be the core elements of character drawing. Not only that, the settings for my drawings are well-thought out, and the color palettes I use can grab the attention of the viewer in an instant. As I’ve given numerous drawing classes and have built a substantial background in training, I've gained a great deal of expertise in efficiently enhancing the level of completion and quality of character illustration, with a special focus on casual styles.
What Will the Students Gain from this Class?
The curriculum covers everything from sketching a stylized character according to the desired concept, selecting the right colors, and adding finishing touches to upgrade the drawing. Specifically, I will provide students with detailed guidance on what to watch out for, how to make corrections, and how to determine when a drawing is finished. This will help them develop a sense for drawing.
This course will use
- Adobe Photoshop 2022
Please purchase and install these program(s) for an optimized course experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the course.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
*Please note that the information on this page is subject to change without prior notice.
*Would you like to learn more about our refund policy? Please check here.
*Please check our FAQ for Copyright and Proprietary Rights, User-Generated Content, Security, and Violation information.