Get These Coloso Exclusives
PSD/PNG & SPP files
2D animation sequence files
What’s the difference between Part 1 and Part 2?
For those who’d like to design 2D-like, cartoon-style characters using basic Blender features.
For those interested in creating scenes where characters and backgrounds blend seamlessly by mastering the basics of Blender and Substance Painter.
Expert 3D Artist Sangwoo Park's Portfolio
NETFLIX - DOTA Dragon's Blood 1~3
NETFLIX - The Witcher
Nightmare of the Wolf
Why Take This Class?
Acquire a comprehensive understanding of how to create backgrounds step by step, including how to express 2D-like visuals and basic modeling techniques using Blender's shader nodes,
texturing in Substance Painter,
shading, and projection mapping.
This class doesn't just want you to copy and finish exercises. Instead, it seeks to show you three distinct workflows so that you can actually develop your own artistic style.
By the end of this course, you will have become a trendy artist who is capable of creating backgrounds for different genres with the knowledge you possess. of a universal 3D design workflow.
9+ Class Exercises
Create background models in Blender using shader nodes and modifiers.
Rock - Light
Tree - Hue
Tree - Light
Design detailed backgrounds by applying texturing and shading techniques, followed by painting in Substance Painter.
Green Board - Composition
Classroom - Composition
Transform image sources into 3D backgrounds through the application of projection mapping.
Hello, my name is Sangwoo Park, and I'm a 3D Artist.
At Studio Mir, I am the asset director, in charge of the 3D elements utilized in our animations. I've also created CG for a number of animated shows, including Netflix's DOTA, The Witcher, Lookism, and Warner Bros. DC's Super-Sons."
With extensive experience as a modeling, texturing, and shading expert in the animation industry, I have now ventured into creating and developing 3D anime CG.
I'm very eager to share everything I know about producing 3D anime backgrounds, including techniques, skills, self-study advice, and thoughts into Blender's future.
3D Asset Director
Projects & Awards
DOTA Dragon's Blood season 1,2,3
The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf
Batman and Superman: Battle of the Super Sons
slowslowsloth Neul season 1
ROBOCAR POLI season 3,4
Exploring the Basics of 3D Anime Backgrounds in Blender
Don't worry if you're new to 3D design and Blender; this class will take you step by step through the tool's UI, functionality, and the fundamentals of modeling, texturing, shading, and compositing in Blender.
Tips for Crafting 2D-Like Anime Backgrounds in 3D
Investigate the aesthetic and industrial ideas underlying anime graphic styles, as well as practice with shading nodes and textures in 3D programs..
Achieving Career-Ready Skills in Various Genres
Master the art of positioning cameras and lighting in 3D scenes to improve background quality, and apply these techniques not just to photos but also to webtoons, graphics, and other genres.
Basic Principles for Elevating 3D Anime Background QualityLearn how to use Blender and Substance Painter while acquiring the theoretical knowledge needed to recreate the anime art style in 3D.
Mastering Blender's Shader Nodes, the Foundation for Asset DesignPractice creating assets at various levels of difficulty to become comfortable with mathematical calculations, which can be challenging for beginners learning shader nodes.
Establish an Efficient Workflow with Blender and Substance PainterExplore the strengths and weaknesses of Blender and Substance Painter and learn how these two programs can complement each other effectively.
Projection Mapping: Transforming 2D into 3DInstantly convert 2D images into 3D graphics using projection mapping, a widely-used feature in the field.
Lighting and Coloring Techniques That Define the Background’s QualityDiscover how to use worlds, environments, lights, HDRIs, and other essential elements of lighting and coloring to create high-quality backgrounds.
Maximize the Potential of Blender, the Free 3D Tool That Blurs BoundariesDiscover how to apply 3D environments not only to images but also to illustrations, webtoons, and various other types of content.
(자동 구성) 가격이 인상됩니다.
SECTION 01. Blender Basics
- Instructor and class introduction
- The usage of anime-style backgrounds
- Artistic and commercial backgrounds and their range of implementation
02. The UI and Basics of Blender
- The features and role of Blender’s UI
- The main menu
03. Modeling, Texturing, and Shading in Blender
- Modeling in Blender
- Texturing in Blender
- Shader nodes in Blender
04. How to Use the Asset Browser
- How to use and make the most of the Asset Browser
SECTION 02. Designing Natural Objects
05. Designing Grass
- Creating grass using the Particle System
- Adding texture with Noise Shader
06. Designing Rocks and Stones
- Making textures applicable to any models
- Making stones with Noise Shader and Voronoi
07. Designing Bushes
- Making bushes using the Particle System
- Making 2D-like bushes with Normal Transfer
- Adding variety to colors with Object info Random
08. Designing Trees
- Making trees the same way as bushes
- Adding branches with Grease Pencil and Curve
09. Designing a Sky
- Understanding the Environment Shader
- Making a Dome Sphere
10. Simulating Grass Movements
- Making grass sway with the wind
11. Positioning and Compositing a Character to Create a Scene
- Positioning and compositing a 2D character
SECTION 03. Substance Painter Basics
12. Introduction to Substance Painter’s UI
- The features and role of Substance Painter
- The essentials of Substance Painter
- Processing the FBX file created in Blender
SECTION 04. Designing a Classroom
13. Planning a Building’s Interior with Numbers
- Establishing the ratio
- Understanding the average architecture
- Getting used to the workflow
14. How to Apply Importer Add-Ons in SketchUp
- Using add-ons to import SketchUp files into Blender
15. Designing Floors, Columns, Walls, Windows, Blackboards, and Frames
- Creating objects based on large shapes
- Making objects with Array Modifier
16. Designing Ceilings, Floor Moldings, Lockers, and Lights
- Creating objects based on medium shapes
- Using Instance and Mirror
- Making blackboards with various Shader Nodes
17. Designing Desks, Chairs, Pens, and Notes
- Creating objects based on medium shapes (1)
18. Designing Curtains
- Making curtains using the cloth simulation
- Making the curtains sway with the wind
19. Texturing Floors, Columns, Walls, Windows, Blackboards, and Frames
- Painting in Substance Painter
- Using UDIMs
- Using texture files in Blender
20. Texturing Ceilings, Floor Moldings, Lockers, and Lights
- Painting in Substance Painter
- Texturing Instance Collection objects
21. Texturing Desks and Chairs
- Painting in Substance Painter
- Managing textures in the Asset Browser
22. Finishing Up Shading
- Shading and additional texturing
- Using multiple UVs in an object
23. Setting Up Environments and Lights
- Working on Look Development with Eevee’s real-time rendering
24. Positioning and Compositing a Character to Create a Scene
- Compositing a 2D character and background
- Adding details with Compositor
SECTION 05. Designing a Street
25. Perceiving a 2D Image in 3D
- Using 2D concept art as a basis
- Understanding Projection Mapping
- Learning more about buildings
26. Basic Settings for Projection Mapping
- Calculating angles of view using fSpy
- Using fSpy importer add-ons
27. Creating a Model of a Street
- Designing a simple street with basic shapes
- Setting up cameras, rendering, materials, and subdivision
28. Texturing a Street
- Projection mapping in Substance Painter: Basics
- Projection mapping in Substance Painter: Retouching
29. Setting Up Shaders for a Street
- Setting up shaders for illuminants and signs
- Setting up environments and lights
SECTION 06. Applying the Webtoon Art Style
30. Applying Line Art
- Drawing clean lines with Line Art
- Separating colors and lines, and then working on them in Photoshop
31. Using EXR files in Photoshop
- Importing multichannel EXR files into Photoshop with Exr-IO
SECTION 07. Wrap-Up
32. My Perspective on Blender's Outcomes and Suggestions
- Difference between a job and a hobby
- Tips for learning 3D design through self-study
- The direction of content
*The release date of this class, curriculum images, and associated content can be changed without prior notice.
** Class videos may be seperated for a more streamlined viewing experience
3D Artist Sangwoo Park
What is the goal or key point of this class?
In this class, students will learn to create 3D anime backgrounds in Blender using shader nodes, materials, textures, and projection mapping. I've condensed my years of industry experience into these class exercises, enabling students to create not only backgrounds but anything they want, regardless of genre.
What do you consider your strengths as an instructor?
My expertise lies in the realm of animated films, particularly in 3D anime backgrounds. Producing an image or film requires consideration of various elements, including characters. I'm eager to share the insights I've gained from my industry experience to help students navigate their creative journeys more smoothly.
Who do you think should take this class?
First and foremost, I recommend this class to individuals seeking to create exceptional anime-style backgrounds in 3D, starting from the artistic and industrial foundations. I'm also confident that it will be helpful to those interested in content design as a hobby or those looking to gain insight into how Blender is used in the ever-evolving webtoon industry.
This course will use
- Blender 3.4
- Photoshop 2023
- Adobe Substance 3D Painter 1366
Please purchase and install these program(s) for an optimized lecture experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the lecture.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
*Please note that the information on this page is subject to change without prior notice.
*Would you like to learn more about our refund policy? Please check here.
*Please check our FAQ for Copyright and Proprietary Rights, User-Generated Content, Security, and Violation information.