Are you looking to hone your 3D sculpting skills and reach mastery?
The art director at Prime 1 Studio Japan, Wandah Kurniawan, will be your instructor to guide you in the journey of mastering 3D collectible figurine sculpting.
In addition to the above, Wandah will share with you the tips and tricks to sculpt a complete 3D collectible figurine from a single illustration created by Rinotuna while guiding you on how to collect proper references, work with a single front image, and reimagine the side view and the back of the 3D figurine.
Get These Coloso Exclusives
ZBrush Custom UI
Anime Base Mesh
Custom Noise Texture
Toolbag 4 Render Images
BPR Render Images
Expert 3D Character Artist Wandah Kurniawan's Portfolio
Why Take This Class?
Wandah's subsequent class welcomes both returning and new students by delivering a wealth of practical tips and expertise, such as optimizing the sculpting flow, anime anatomy, proportions, and incorporating elemental effects.
Making it the perfect class for anyone from basic to intermediate level looking to advance their sculpting skills in ZBrush
12 Class Exercises
Warming Up: Rinotuna's Mascot
Advanced Anatomy & Proportions
Making Appealing Expressions
High Resolution Texture Detailing
Realistic Drapery Sculpting
Elemental FX for Collectibles
In-Depth Water FX Sculpting
Water Drip Detailing
Finding Perfect Composition Balance
Render & Lighting Setup
Getting Ready for 3D Printing
3D Character Artist
Hello, my name is Wandah Kurniawan.
I currently work as an art director at Prime 1 Studio Japan. Here I learn to make a lot of high-quality figures and statues in various styles of work, including realistic style, cartoony, anime, hard surface, etc.
I worked at AAA Video Game Company before, and now I'm focusing on collectible toys, especially statues and anime figures.
Some of my projects include characters from DC, Square Enix, Capcom, Kadokawa, and many more.
In this class, I intend to help you take your sculpting techniques to the next level and further improve your skills. I'm also sharing the insights and knowledge I’ve gained working in the industry for over 15 years, and I'll be guiding you every step of the way as we sculpt our amazing character from a single illustration that was created by Rinotuna.
3D Character Artist,
Art Director at Prime 1 Studio Co., Ltd.
Lead 3D Character Artist at Prime 1 Studio Co., Ltd.
Freelance 3D Sculptor Kinetiquette (2015-2018)
Freelance 3D Sculptor XM Studios (2018)
Freelance 3D Sculptor at McFarlane Toys (2017-2018)
3D Character Artist at Streamline Studios (April 2016 - April 2017)
Projects & Awards
3D World Issue 274 Toys and Collectible
2015 Best Design, 3D Print Creature Design, UCT
Statue of the year 2021 - Batman Statue Collectors
[Recognizable Statues Project]
Featured in ZBrush Central: Raiden Shogun Fan Art
Devil May Cry 3, Dante and Vergil
Street Fighter V Arcade Edition
Marvel VS Capcom Infinite
Nier Automata diorama statues
Attack on Titan Diorama
Fullmetal Alchemist Statues
Advanced Sculpting Techniques
In this subsequent class, we'll delve into advanced sculpting techniques that go beyond the basics you learned in my first class. You'll learn how to tackle more complex forms with intricate details and achieve a higher level of semi-realism in your 3D character sculptures. We'll explore methods for refining anime-style anatomical accuracy, creating various FX, and mastering the art of digital sculpting.
Advanced Anatomy & Proportions
One of many important takeaways from this class is the very details of sculpting anatomically accurate and well-proportioned anime characters. During the class, we will dissect the anime body structure and explore advanced techniques for sculpting anime figurine anatomy. You will gain a profound understanding of the anime body structure and proportions to make your sculpt not only look aesthetically pleasing but also possess perfect anime proportions.
Elemental FX for 3D Collectibles
Incorporating dynamic effects such as fire, electricity, and water into your character sculptures can take your art to the next level. We'll explore techniques for creating these captivating elemental effects, making your characters come alive with the illusion of motion and magic. You'll gain insights into how to simulate the behavior of these elements and incorporate them seamlessly into your 3D character designs, enhancing their visual impact and storytelling potential.
Warming Up & Blocking OutWarming up our creative muscles and establishing the initial shapes. We will sculpt Rinotuna's mascot first and move on to blocking out complex character features.
Simplifying Anatomy & Dynamic PoseWe'll explore techniques to simplify complex anatomical features, making them more manageable. We'll also dig deep into posing and refining our sculpt, injecting life and movement into the figurine.
Elemental FX & Wet-Look ClothingLearn how to create essential elemental effects like fire, electricity, and water. Additionally, master the art of sculpting wet-look clothing, adding realism and depth to your 3D figurine.
Tile-Able Textures & DetailsWe'll delve into the intricacies of texture design, including creating tile-able textures and their application, which will add even more details that'll bring the character to life.
Coloring, Decimating & RenderingUnderstand how to apply the right materials to our sculpt, optimize the figurine for better application, render, and showcase like industry professionals.
Bonus Face Sculpting & CuttingIn the bonus chapters, we'll learn to sculpt a different facial expression aside from the original illustration to add variety. In addition, we will go through a demonstration on making model cuts for 3D printing for our figurine.
(자동 구성) 가격이 인상됩니다.
SECTION 01. 2nd Class Run-through
01. Hello Again & Welcome
- Instructor introduction
- 2nd Class overview
- Helpful websites and software programs + productivity app
SECTION 02. Character Intro & Warm Up
02. Introducing the Shower Fairy by Rinotuna
- Introducing the Shower Fairy by Rinotuna
- Character Breakdown
- Planning the workflow (time management)
- Gathering references
03. Warming Up with Rinotuna’s Mascot
- Setting up preferences & hotkeys
- Getting started with Rinotuna's mascot
SECTION 03. Foundation Sculpting: The Head
04. Kicking Off with Head Sculpting
- Adjusting shapes for the face
- Blocking out facial features
- Pro tips for sculpting from references
- Adding eyelashes
- Adding front hair
05. Detail Refining: Eyes, Irises & Mouth
- Adding eyeballs & pupils
- Tips on sculpting eyes and mouth
- Topology with ZRemesher
- Irises and details
SECTION 04. Foundation Sculpting: The Body
06. Anime Body Proportions
- In-deph anime body proportions
- Using heads for measurements
- Body parts with Simple Primitive Objects
- Curve in human body
07. Body Landmarks & Curves
- Adding anatomy landmarks
- Considering the curves
- Rough body refining
08. Sculpting Fingers & Toes
- Sculpting fingers & toes from hexagons
- Tips for creating fingers & toes
- Sculpting finger & toe nails
- Sculpting palm & creases
09. Topology, Bone Structure & Polygrouping
- Merging body parts
- Figurine toplogy and tips
- Marking bone structure
SECTION 05. Hat, Accessories & Blocking Out
10. The Hat & Accessories
- Blocking out the hat
- Adding chains and crystals
- Adding letters
- Adding details to the symbol
11. Rough Block Out
- Blocking out the clothing
- Blocking out the water FX
SECTION 06. Posing & Anatomy
12. Posing the Character: Initial Stage
- Preparation before posing character
- Fundamentals for female poses
- General sculpt placement
- Pose matching
13. Posing the Character: Polishing Stage
- Adding hand gestures
- Smoothing all out
- Adjusting to the pole
- Balancing the composition
14. Refining: Upper Body Anatomy & Muscles
- Refining upper body muscles
- Simplifying the anatomy
- Starting from the upper body
- Hands, shoulder & torso details
15. Refining: Lower Body Anatomy & Muscles
- Refining lower body muscles
- Minor touch ups
- Lower body symmetry
- Refining feet details
SECTION 07. Fabric & Wet Look Clothing
16. Fabric Sculpting: Front Side Clothing
- How the fabric behaves on clothing
- Starting with the front side drapery
- Achieving the wet look on clothing
- Working on the clothing folds
17. Fabric Sculpting: Back Side Clothing
- Sculpting the flow
- Refining the sculpt
- Completing the backside folds
SECTION 08. FX for 3D Collectibles
18. 3 Essential Elemental Effects
- How to sculpt the fire effect
- How to sculpt the electric effect
- How to sculpt the water effect
19. FX Block Out: Hair
- Water effect application
- Blocking out anterior hair FX
- Blocking out posterior hair FX
20. FX Block Out: Broom, Sleeves, Fishes
- Adding the broom water FX
- Using temporary base
- Water FX on the sleeves
- Blocking out fish water FX
21. FX Refinition: Anterior Hair
- Grouping & hiding parts for efficiency
- Refining front bangs
- Closing hair gaps
- Refining the anterior hair FX
22. FX Refinition: Posterior Hair
- Posterior hair shape adjustment
- Refining the upper & posterior side hair
- Refining the lower side hair & hair tips
23. FX Refinition: Sleeves & Wings
- Reconstructing & smoothing the edges
- Refining the FX curves
- Tips and tricks for intersections
- Refining and adding details to the wings
24. FX Refinition: Water Sack & Details
- Reconstructing & smoothing the FX
- Refining the broom's water sack FX
- Positioning the mascot into the FX
- Incorporating additional details
25. Adding Base to the Figurine
- Making a suitable base for the character
- Adding the tiles to the base
- Adding details and refining
SECTION 09. Textures, Details and Evaluation
26. Tile-able Texture Creation & Application
- Creating tile-able texture
- Applying textures
- Adding micro details
- Adding wear an tear effects
27. Clothing Fabric Textures & Tips
- Using premade Noise
- Applying fabric texture for clothing
- Tips and tricks on size of the Noise
- Micro detailing
28. Dripping Water & Minor Details
- Extracting skin surface water drip FX
- Refining water drips
- Additional FX touch-ups
29. Constructive Model Evaluation
- Final touches
- How professionals evaluate
- Ways to compare
- Addressing feedback
SECTION 10. UV Unwrapping, Decimating & Scaling
30. UV Unwrapping, Coloring & Decimating
- UV unwrapping the model
- Adding color and shading
- Decimating before rendering
- Scaling for perfection
SECTION 11. Materials, Textures & Rendering
31. Materials, Textures & Rendering
- Render setup in Marmoset Toolbag 4
- Glossiness map & color adjustments
- Adding textures for better presentation
- Post production & turn table presentation
SECTION 12. Bonus
32. Additional Facial Expression
- Sculpting the new expression
- Balancing facial features + tips and tricks
- Adjusting to the model
33. Cutting for 3D Figurine (Demo)
- Demonstration of face cutting for 3D Printing
- Exporting print-ready model
SECTION 13. Outro & Farewell
34. Tips and Tricks to Build Your Career
- Conventional hiring process
- Tips creating portfolios
- More tips
*The release date of this class, curriculum images, and associated content can be changed without prior notice.
** Class videos may be seperated for a more streamlined viewing experience
3D Character Artist, Wandah Kurniawan
Why did you choose this specific topic?
I chose this topic for this subsequent class because I wanted to leave the opportunity open for students to explore further beyond the fundamentals and dive into the advanced aspects of 3D anime figurine sculpting. Having worked in the industry for over 15 years now, I've gathered a great deal of skills and mastered advanced sculpting techniques, self-evaluating skills, and incorporating effects. I am glad to share these valuable insights and techniques with my second class and help students elevate their skills and produce artwork that truly stands out in the industry.
What makes your class different from other classes?
I think what sets my class apart from others is that it's the first subsequent class teaching in continuation of the first class. In my first class "Turning Anime Characters Into 3D Printable Models", I focused more on teaching the fundamentals and basics of sculpting 3D anime figurines. This class takes the learning experience further by exploring advanced sculpting techniques, how-to-create elemental effects, and incorporating them into the sculpt.
What would be the most important takeaway from your class?
The first important takeaway would be learning the art of advanced sculpting. Second would be going beyond the technical skills: students will learn how to critically evaluate their own work, which is a must-know skill for gradual improvement. The last important takeaway would be the dynamic elemental effects; learning how to incorporate those into your sculpting workflow will definitely give you a competitive advantage.
This course will use Zbrush 2022.0.6, Marmoset Toolbag 4.
Please purchase and install these program(s) for an optimized lecture experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the lecture.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
*Please note that the information on this page is subject to change without prior notice.
*Would you like to learn more about our refund policy? Please check here.
*Please check our FAQ for Copyright and Proprietary Rights, User-Generated Content, Security, and Violation information.