This class teaches you the A-Z process of modeling a character from a character sheet, and includes everything from texturing and rigging to blend shaping and more, Get tips and tricks for modeling characters, texturing each part of the body, and even blendshaping for animations. Once the modeling phase is complete in Blender, you'll learn how to use Unity and VRM to bring your character to life and showcase it professionally.
Expert 3D Artist
Rui Ricia's Profile & Portfolio
Why Take This Class?
This class is designed to help you become a 3D VTuber character artist by covering several essential topics.
You'll learn about building a proper mindset, attaining industry opportunities, efficient 3D modeling techniques, anime-style proportions, texturing, rigging, Blendshaping, Vseeface, showcasing in Unity, and other bonus tips and tricks.
By the end, you'll have a good understanding of the entire VTuber creation process and the necessary skills to create your own unique character.
*Get access to Artemimi's Character Design Sheet by Venn
*Includes Enya Character VRM by Rika & Artemimi's Character FBX
17 Class Exercises
Anime Body Proportion
Head Topology & Modeling
Character Hair &
Extremities & Detailing
Outfit Mesh & Detailing
Blender Texture Painting
Humanoid Bones & Rigging
Blendshape: Viseme & Eye Blink
Emoticons & Exaggerations
Physics: VRM Spring Bone
Collider: VRM Spring Bone
Showcasing in Unity
3D CG Character Artist
Hi, I'm Rui, a 3D character artist with a passion for art, technology, and storytelling. I have experience in diverse projects from game assets to VTuber models, and I specialize in creating 3D characters and VTuber avatars.
As a 3D modeling lead at Artemiz and Igrasil Studio for their War of Ashired project, I'm committed to pushing the boundaries of art and sharing my insights on anime-style character modeling for the VTuber industry.
Throughout this class, you'll learn fundamental modeling skills, create your first character using a reference sheet, and find out how to broadcast it as a VTuber.
The class covers important workflows in great detail, and there's a bonus section that will help you get the most out of your first VTuber character.
3D CG Character Artist,
Freelance 3D CG Character Artist
Founder of Artemiz
Projects & Awards
3D Artist - Alternative Girls Mobile: Game Project
Lead 3D Artist - War of Ashird: Console Game Project
3D Character Artist - Froot from Vshojo
3D Character Artist - Draki Kona from Pixela Sekai
3D Character Artist - A.K.A
Turning 2D into 3D with 2D Aesthetics in Blender
Discover the A-Z process of modeling a character from a character sheet, including texturing, rigging, and blend shining, depending on the character design. With the modeling process, I aim to teach you a few tips and tricks for modeling characters, texturing each part of the body, and even blending shapes for the animations.
VTuber Avatar in Unity
Once the modeling phase in Blender is complete, you will find out how to use Unity and bring your character to life. There aren't many people who know about mixing Blender and Unity in their workflow. While Blender has its advantages, incorporating Unity can enhance your workflow and make it more efficient.
Showcasing in Unity
Learn how to showcase VTuber characters professionally using Unity. You'll find out how to use both Unity and VRM to maximize your character's potential. As a bonus, I've included tips and tricks for making a name for yourself by creating and showcasing your own VTuber character.
Building a Mindset & Industry OpportunitiesTo become a successful 3D VTuber character artist, it's important to have the right mindset and industry knowledge. In this course, I'll introduce you to the industry, its pros and cons, and the opportunities available to you.
Efficient Character Modeling Techniques for BlenderLearn to model using a character sheet created by Venn. The character sheet will be available as a class perk so you can follow along closely or practice using your own. I will show you efficient modeling techniques using extruding, scaling, and other features to match the character design sheet.
Anime Character Proportions, Texturing, & RiggingWhile modeling in Blender, many people encounter difficulties in getting the anime proportions correct. To help you fix this issue, I will thoroughly explain how to model an anime head, hair, body, and outfit properly as I model our character. I will also explain the process of texturing and rigging in great detail.
Blendshaping"Blendshaping" or Morphing targeted areas, is another must-know skill in the 3D VTuber industry. In this phase, I will be showing you how to morph parts like the mouth and eyes to create a variety of emotions such as Happy, Angry, Sorrow, and Joy.
VSF Avatar Intro & DemoVseeface is a popular versatile tool designed for 3D VTubers. I will introduce you to this software and the amazing features it has to customize your character and perform live streaming or pre-recorded videos.
Showcasing in Unity & TricksAs the last phase of our class, I will be teaching you how to present a VTuber character in real-time in Unity, which involves combining various elements to create an interactive and dynamic virtual character. As a bonus, VRM Physics and Blendshape tips will be shared for your future reference.
(자동 구성) 가격이 인상됩니다.
SECTION 01: Intro
01. Hello, I'm Rui!
- Introducing your instructor
- Brief overview of the class
- Sofware and programs
SECTION 02. Fundamentals for 3D VTuber Artists
02. Building a Mindset: VTuber 3D Character Artist
- What is VTuber? & Why anime?
- Brief general workflow of making a 3D VTuber character
- Opportunities in the industry
- Pros and Cons of being a 3D character artist for VTubers
SECTION 03. Modeling with a Character Reference Sheet
03. Basic Modeling & Base Body Modeling
- Modeling props and getting familiar with Blender
- Understanding anime body proportions using basic shapes
- Turning a basic cube into an anime body
04. Base Head Modeling
- Understanding anime head topology
- Turning a basic plane into an anime head
05. Hair Modeling
- Breaking down character hair
- Understanding hair topology and hair card modeling
06. Detailing Your Base Character Model
- Detailing and refining the base body, hand, and feet
- Detailing and refining the base head & face
07. Creating Character Outfits
- Creating base outfit mesh
- Detailing outfit accessories
- Mark seam
- Understanding texture resolution
09. Texture Painting 1
- Preparing for texturing
- Face coloring and painting
- Basic texture: painting the body
- Basic texture: painting the head
10. Texture Painting 2
- Adding detailed texture painting
- Applying shadows
- Outlining the outfit
- Overall texture detailing
11. Creating Bones, Rigging, & Weightpainting
- Creating humanoid bone
- Bone naming
- Weight Painting: attach mesh to bone
SECTION 04. Blendshaping
12. Blendshape Viseme & Eye Blink
- Morphing the mouth for basic Viseme: AIUEO
- Morphing eyes for eye movement: Blink, Blink_L , Blink_R
13. Blendshaping Emotions
- Blend shaping emotions by morphing the face:
14. Blendshaping Exaggerated Expressions
- Blendshaping exaggerated expressions
- Making characters more interesting with 2D expressions
SECTION 05. Unity: Turning Your 3D Character into VRM for VTuber
15. Unity Project Setup for VTuber Characters
- Introducing basic Unity: UI and frequently used features
- Intro to VRM & importing VRM assets
- Understanding frequently used VRM functionality
- Importing and exporting VRM Models
16. Overview of the Mtoon Shader
- Creating new Mtoon material
- Knowing all the parameters
17. Import & Material Setup
- Importing and setting up the humanoid rig of your model
- Setting up materials and applying them to a character
18. Physics Setup: VRM Spring Bone
- Adding VRM physics to your 3D character
- Adjusting physics play with parameters
19. Collider Setup: VRM Spring Bone
- Adding VRM Collider to your model
- Adjusting physics by using a preview animation clip
20. VRM Blendshape & Finishing your VRM
- Blendshaping registration for the VRM
- Exporting your VRM model
SECTION 06. Vseeface
21. Vseeface Introduction
- Introducing Vseeface
- Pros and Cons: Vseeface
22. Play your VRM in Vseeface
- Setting up Blendshape key toggle
- Testing your VTuber model functionality
- Setting up webcam motion tracking for hand testing
23. Using VSFAvatar Format to Boost Your Model
- Introducing to VsfAvatar
- Adding a special toggle to your model to play it on Vseeface
SECTION 07. Bonus
24. Showcasing Your Model With Unity
- Unity Animator
- Unity Post Processing
- Unity Recorder
25. Tips & Tricks for VRM
- Tips & tricks for VRM Physics
- Tips & tricks for VRM Blendshape
SECTION 08. Outro
26. Farewell Message
- Tips for starting & developing a 3D VTuber artist career
- Branding your potential on social media
- Words of encouragement and gratitude to students
*The release date of this class, curriculum images, and associated content can be changed without prior notice.
Expert 3D CG Artist
Is there a specific reason why you chose this specific topic/themes?
Nowadays, there are so many 3D character modelers with a talent for modeling and turning 2D characters into 3D characters; however, not many know the technical side of turning them into a 3D VTuber, as the VTuber industry is growing fast, the market is looking for people who can bring 3D work to the next level of interactive media. This step will be a leap to the future, so I want to share my insights into it and how to do this kind of work in the industry.
What makes your class different from other classes?
Throughout this class, I'm taking a comprehensive approach to creating a 3D VTuber using Blender and Unity. As it covers the entire process from character modeling from a reference sheet to showcasing the model, students will be able to gain the knowledge and necessary skills to create their own complete VTuber characters. The unique aspects of 3D VTuber creation can be learned through this class, such as having the proper mindset of a VTuber character artist with a practical, industry-focused approach with theoretical knowledge and hands-on practice. In addition, I'll be using Unity and VSeeface to integrate specific details and make a stunning presentation.
What would be the most important takeaway from your class?
The main takeaway from this class is understanding the entire process of creating a 3D VTuber character and thinking like a professional 3D VTuber artist. Unlike 2D VTuber characters, creating 3D characters is a more complex process that involves real-time interactivity in Unity. It's challenging to find a comprehensive and intensive course that combines Blender and Unity, integrating features like VRM Physics and Blendshape. I aim to provide students with a thorough guide on how to enter this amazing world of 3D VTubers.
This course will use Blender, Unity, and Vseeface.
Please purchase and install these program(s) for an optimized lecture experience.
*These programs and/or materials will not be provided with the lecture.
Like this class?
Then check these out!
*Please note that the information on this page is subject to change without prior notice.
*Would you like to learn more about our refund policy? Please check here.
*Please check our FAQ for Copyright and Proprietary Rights, User-Generated Content, Security, and Violation information.